Saturday, August 11, 2007

First Attempt

This is my first attempt drawing on 11 x 17 sketch, scanning from a 8 1/2 x 11 bed scanner, and fixing my jpg's in photoshop. How are other classmates posting their images? I must be doing something wrong.

Anyway, not a lot of exciting exterior spaces in my local area so I chose to observe a nearby park that have a few people in the air whether it is good or bad architecture. I chose to study this space because 1: I have always wanted to and 2: the dinamics of the material used for the tent. I am definitely not the best artist but are my a couple of initial sketches without color.

The local park, Festival Plaza, is located on Androscoggin River seperating 'twin cities' Auburn and Lewiston, Maine. The park is available for use during other local festivals. Despite its name, it really doesn't have it's own festival or special event. Lack of pedestrian flow, more events, and life enables this park to become something more.


I have a hard time believing this park belongs where it has been placed. I heard it was designed by a Boston firm but I am still trying to find information. It is nested within an older upscaled part of Auburn. Nearby brick buildings host an attorneys office, a couple of night clubs, and a many elderly apartments. Other than that, there really isn't anything else around. I think the city wanted a more formal area for festivals but people are not drawn by it. It is almost like it is pushing people away or that people are ignoring it. It is hard to miss it visually though, you have to see it when you cross the bridge into town. Fading bright colors of the tent material dominates it brick neighbors. It draws your curiosity to the site but once you experience it it disappoints you. The concrete slab, concrete seating, and boulders give an impression of hardness. It is hard to understand what to do once you are in the space. There is a stage that obviously is used for entertainment, but is not used for its potential. When I observed the park, people brought towels to sit on. Kids just run around with nothing to do. Luckily, they blocked the street off. Older folks don't sit for very long on the concrete seating.

The space is too small for its original intentions. To add to that, the tent material barely covers the space because of its shape. I hope you are able to see this in my drawings. There are also three small waterfalls within the park. Kids are intimidated to go near it. It might have somethig to do with the water pressure and the fact the boulders are located soo close that kids can't just run through it. You can't sit on the boulders, you'd get soaked.


This is a quick analysis of my space. I am going to post more renderings, sketches, and comments tomorrow. Please comment, the more comments I receive, the better project I can make it.

2 comments:

Peter said...

Your sketches are looking good and convey a good feel of the space.

It appears to me from your sketch and description that the park is providing a counter-point to the surrounding buildings and area. Perhaps in hopes that if it catches the eye, people will be drawn to the space and congregate there.

But, I agree with you that the counter-point is a somewhat overdone and some of the features are too complicated. The space almost appears to be too busy for the building it is next too. Almost, like it would be easier to relax in one of the buildings than in the park.

Maybe if it were to simplify some of the features, like the waterfalls, make others a little more utilitarian, like the tent, and blend a little of the local aspects like forms and color, it would be a more successfull space.

Stacey Stevens said...

Thanks Peter for your comments. Your right, the park is definitely providing a counter-point to the sorrounding buildings. The park is years ahead in terms of design compared to the sorrounding buildings. The buildings are simple, planar, and designed from the 19th century. The buildings use to be factories with a brick facade and high copper ceilings.

The park is like having a circus in a business district. It is out of control within a controlled environment and it doesn't fit. I think it would serve the residents if it was located elsewhere.